Sunflower seeds are an excellent source of the following vitamins and minerals:
- Vitamin E (alpha tocopherol) — Alpha tocopherol may help protect your cells against free radical damage by inhibiting the production of reactive oxygen species (ROS). As a result, it lowers your risk of chronic diseases such as cancer, arthritis and cataracts. It may also help inhibit inflammation and promote healthy immune function.11
- Thiamin — Also known as vitamin B1, thiamine plays a role in energy production, muscle contraction and transmission of nerve signals.12
- Vitamin B6 — It plays a role in protein metabolism and is involved in more than 100 enzyme reactions in the body.13 It’s also linked to a lower risk of cardiovascular disease and stroke, premenstrual syndrome, and morning sickness during pregnancy.14
- Magnesium— It helps promote brain and heart health, support detoxification, maintain healthy cellular function, and optimize your mitochondria. It may also help slash your risk for heart failure, stroke, diabetes and even all-cause mortality.
- Selenium — An essential mineral that provides antioxidant, antiviral and anticancer properties, selenium may help reduce your risk of heart disease, asthma and human immunodeficiency virus (HIV).